Coding for 2017 and Beyond: ICD-10 Coding Webinar Series
Join us for the changes ahead in 2017 as we go beyond simple coding and soar to new heights. This series will associate coding with the new elements in OASIS 2, Changes to Official Coding Guidelines and case mix final rule for 2017.
Understanding OASIS C2 Changes & Impact on Coding: October 13, 2016
Description: Staff needs to understand the relationship of the OASIS C2 questions to diagnosis/coding selection. Reviewed will be areas where OASIS M questions crossover with coding and create conflicts if not reconciled.
· Understand the significance of new OASIS C2 M questions: M1028, M1060, GG0170C and the impact on coding
o Review specific coding areas associated with new M questions
o Review of PVD, PAD and specific diabetic codes related to M1028
· Discussion of pressure ulcer terminology changes as it relates to Official Coding Guidelines
o Brief review of skin integrity measure for IMPACT Act for 1/01/17
· Identify the intersection between specific M questions and coding consistency
o For example:
§ Review M1036 Risk Factors and diagnostic questions
§ Sensory status
§ Respiratory status
§ Neuro/Emotional/Behavioral Status and more
Coding Diabetes & Complications: November 10, 2016
Description: The guidance for coding of diabetic complications has changed! Course will review coding of diabetes, diabetic complications and review of Medicare requirements for diagnosis to qualify for daily administration of insulin. Diabetes is usually a top 10 diagnosis for most agencies – and a case mix diagnosis for home health - so be sure you are coding specifically. This course is applicable for both home health AND hospice agencies.
· Understand the new guidance for coding of diabetic complications
o Discuss the cause & effect relationship between diabetes & diseases of kidneys, nerves and circulatory system
· Review how the changes may case effect case mix
· Utilize Test Your Knowledge cases to code different types of diabetes and manifestations
o Reviewed will be diabetic ulcers & skin conditions; Diabetes, HTN and ESRD; diabetic osteomyelitis and more
· Bonus: Listing of codes of establishing eligibility for daily insulin translated (from final rule 2014 in ICD-9) to ICD-10
Case Mix 2017: Understand What is Included: December 13, 2016
Description: The proposed rule (waiting final rule publication*) has changed many of the point values for the HHRG case mix items. Learn what diagnoses will capture points now & what case mix diagnoses will have “zero” points in 2017. *Current objectives are based on proposed rule; objectives may be adapted after final rule publication.
· Describe what diagnoses are impacted by case mix changes
o Included will be case mix categories: Blindness/ low vision; Diabetes; GI; Psych1; Psych 2; Pulmonary and more
· Identify the changes to the 18 M questions that affect reimbursement
o Included will be: M1200; M1400; M2030 and more
· Compare reimbursement for same case(s) in 2016 and 2015 after rebasing of points