HIPAA ENFORCEMENT IS ON THE RISE - BE PREPARED 4/23/20
HHS’ Office for Civil Rights is responsible for enforcing the Privacy and Security Rules and continues to step up enforcement in 2020. This webinar will discuss HIPAA updates and essentials your organization needs to comply with under HIPAA. Learn how OCR enforces the Privacy and Security Rules and learn what OCR considers violations and what your agency can do to stay in compliance.
1. Understand how to follow the updated requirements for Right to Access/ Release of Information
a. Discuss the First Settlement for Violation of Right to Access
2. Recognize HIPAA Minimum Necessary Standard with release of information
3. Understand the definition of Legal Health Record versus Designated Record Set
a. Discuss why these policies are essential
4. Learn how to utilize audit trails to decrease “snooping” and increase compliance
PREVENT HIPAA BREACHES – LOCK DOWN SMARTPHONE TEXTING & EMAILS 4/30/20
The trend with today’s health care professionals is instant information by utilizing text and emails. Text messaging and emails are a fast, convenient way to communicate and collaborate with colleagues, patients and families. Is your staff putting the agency at risk by sending Electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI) unencrypted? Are you confident clinical staff and aides are following HIPAA guidelines when communicating information electronically? Staff needs to understand The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act requirements. In addition, many Accountable Care
Organization’s (ACOs) and elder service contracts (ASAPs) are requiring encryption practices. Discussed will be the difference between professional and patient communications and implementing best practices.
1. Understand what policies need to be in place for meet HIPAA security requirements.
2. Learn the difference between SMS (short messaging service) texting and secure texting
3. Identify three safeguards to teach staff to achieve HIPAA compliant texts or emails
4. Identify the correct way to respond to patient emails
Who Should Attend: This series is a necessary topic for Administrators; Information Systems (IS); Compliance; Clinical Management; Clinicians; Medical Records
Speaker: Joan Usher, BS, RHIA, HCS-D, ACE, President, JLU Health Record Systems